How to Spot the Signs of Workplace Electrical Fires

Even when taking the proper safety precautions, fires can affect almost any type of workplace. That’s why it’s important to know some of the signs an electrical fire is developing. Knowing these signs could help you catch a fire before it grows too large. You might even be able to stop the fire from starting altogether. Read on for signs that a workplace fire is coming. We’ll also cover some common causes of workplace electrical fires.

Burning smell from outlets

A burning smell coming from outlets in your workplace is never a good sign. This is especially true if you notice heat coming from the outlet as well. These outlets could easily start a fire if something isn’t done. That’s why it’s important to let someone know about the faulty outlet as soon as possible.

There are many things that could cause a burning smell in outlets. Plugging too many devices into one outlet, for example, could easily cause it to overheat. It’s important to also make sure all cords are properly plugged into the outlets.

Blown fuses

Blown fuses happen from time to time, and don’t always signal an emergency. However, it’s important to know the exact cause of the blown fuse before moving on with your day. When there are constant blown fuses in your workplace, this could signal a short circuit in wires. If left without repair, these short circuits could result in a workplace electrical fire.

Lights that constantly flicker

Flickering lights often mean there’s a loose or dying bulb. However, they could also signal faulty connections with your building’s wiring. These faulty connections often cause heat that could result in fires. If you notice flickering or dimming lights in your workplace, it’s best to contact a professional electrician right away.

Common causes of electrical fires

There are many things that could cause a workplace electrical fire. As mentioned above, faulty wiring and overworked outlets could easily start a fire. It’s important to avoid using equipment with frayed cords, as these could easily cause any surrounding combustible surfaces to catch fire. It’s also recommended that you avoid running electrical cords under rugs, as they can catch fire around faulty wiring.

Be sure to avoid using wiring that’s over two decades old, as older wiring is a frequent cause of electrical fires. If most of your equipment utilizes outdated wiring, consider investing in electrical upgrades or renovations. A reputable electrician will be able to perform these upgrades at a competitive price.

Certain light fixtures can also sometimes cause workplace electrical fires. It’s always a good idea to check the wattage of your bulbs compared to your light fixtures. The wattage of these bulbs shouldn’t exceed the wattage capabilities of your light fixtures. You should also avoid placing any flammable materials near lighting.

If you experience a workplace fire, it’s important to not panic. Follow your company’s fire safety protocols, which might include pulling a fire alarm. If you’re looking to improve your workplace’s electrical system, contact Box Electric Company to schedule a consultation.