If you’re like most homeowners, you probably don’t spend a whole lot of time thinking about your electrical panel or the condition it’s in. That is, until something suddenly goes wrong with your electrical system, and you’re left needing to call one of the best local electricians in Raleigh, NC to make repairs.
Since the electrical panel is one of the most important parts of your home’s infrastructure, it’s at least worth considering whether you’re getting the best operation out of it, and if you could benefit from an upgrade.
Here are a few examples of some of the most common signs you should consider upgrading your electrical panel:
- You live in an old home: Older homes are more likely to have outdated electrical systems. If you have any reason to believe it’s been decades since your electrical system was last updated, this is an upgrade that’s worth making to your home. Old systems might only give you a 60-amp panel, which won’t give you nearly the power you need for everything in your home. If you regularly have problems with poorly performing appliances, flickering lights, tripped circuit breakers when running multiple appliances or a panel that simply looks old, then it’s probably time to move on from your old system.
- You’re still using fuses: Fuses and circuit breakers perform the same function, but fuses are a very outdated form of providing electricity. Rather than tripping when they get overloaded, they’ll blow instead, meaning they need to be completely replaced. They can also be a fire risk. A circuit breaker system saves you money in the long run and provides safer operation.
- You use a lot of extension cords: Using one or two extension cords here and there around your home is okay, but keep in mind that these cords are designed for temporary use in most cases. They also create a major trip hazard. If you find yourself frequently using extension cords, you’ll probably need to install more outlets, which could lead to you also needing to upgrade your electrical panel to accommodate the greater load.
- You will be performing other upgrades to your home: Are you planning on doing a home remodel? If you know you’ll be remodeling your space, adding outlets and introducing new appliances or electrical products, this is a sensible time to upgrade your circuit panel as well to make sure it’s able to provide the power necessary for your new elements. Even a single new major appliance could result in you having to rethink your current electrical panel and its capabilities.
- Your breakers trip regularly: If you have circuit breakers that are regularly tripping, this is a sign that there is either something wrong with your electrical panel, or your panel isn’t capable of supplying the power you need to your home.
For more tips about when you should upgrade your electrical panel and infrastructure, we encourage you to contact the best local electricians in Raleigh, NC at Box Electric Company. We’d be glad to answer your questions!