Is it time to renovate your commercial building? Commercial buildings are usually more complicated than homes when it comes to wiring and electricity. Because of this, they’re required to be inspected, maintained and repaired more frequently than residential electrical systems. Whether you’re doing a full-scale commercial electrical renovation or making electrical upgrades in an office in Raleigh, NC, make sure to work with a contractor who understands commercial electrical demands.
Here are some of the most common electrical issues you might run into when you’re rewiring a commercial building:
- Improper installation: Your commercial building has a lot to handle, from large-scale HVAC systems to appliances, computers, water heaters and more. If these systems are improperly installed, they can put an undue burden on the entire system, which may trip the breakers or even cause electrical fires.
- Electrical fire hazards: Speaking of electrical fires, misusing your commercial building’s electrical system could put you at risk for fire. Anything from overloading the system to damaged wiring or improper installation can cause an electrical fire. That’s why it’s so important to get regular electrical inspections and call in an electrician at the first sign of any issues.
- Damaged wiring: Make sure you always work with a licensed, insured commercial electrician. Even if the guy down the street says he can do it for less, you’ll probably end up needing to call a professional anyway. Amateur electricians can damage the wiring during installation.
- Insufficient wire length: If your wire length isn’t long enough to make the connection, you could experience short circuiting and loss of power, among other negative consequences.
- Not enough outlets: Not having enough outlets might be one of the reasons you’re choosing commercial electrical renovation in Raleigh, NC in the first place—it’s one of the most common reasons people accidentally overload their wiring. Using power strips is a temporary solution that can lead to electrical fires, so make sure you have plenty of room to upgrade.
- Unprotected wiring: Your commercial building’s wiring needs to be protected and locked in order to secure your business’s power supply. Unprotected wiring is a safety hazard. Be sure to follow all local, state and federal regulations regarding wiring protection.
- Tripping circuit breakers: If you keep tripping breakers in your commercial building, you’re overloading part of the system. Have an electrician perform regular inspections, maintenance and repair to avoid this issue.
- Dim or flickering lights: Finally, if you notice that you have dim or flickering lights, even after replacing the lightbulb, that’s a dead giveaway that something is wrong with your electrical system. Before you overload a circuit or cause an electrical fire, call a licensed electrician to repair the damage—you may need to upgrade your wiring.
Thinking about electrical upgrades in your office in Raleigh, NC? Box Electric Company performs commercial electrical upgrades for new and old buildings alike. Get your facilities up to code—and protect your health and safety—when you call us today to schedule an appointment. We look forward to hearing from you!